A while ago I bought two falukorvs (a large type of Swedish sausage) on sale. I’ve had one and today I made a traditional sausage sauce of the other one.
The ingredients cost me about 2.75€ and provided me with 10 portions. That makes one portion 27.5 cents. Depending on what I serve the sauce with (pasta, rice or potatoes) my final cost will vary, but it shouldn’t be more than 50-60 cents in the end, per plate.
400 gr Falukorv/sausage
2,5 dl (1 cup) of cream
2 cubes of meat stock
100 gr tomato paste
2 tablespoons of mustard
0,5 dl soy sauce
3 dl water
Butter to fry in
- Grate the carrots and chop the onions finely.
- Chop the sausage
- Heat up a large cast iron pot/casserole and fry the carrots and onions until they’re soft.
- Put in the sausage and fry off the liquid and give it some color.
- Powder on the thickening and stir it into the sausage and vegetables.
- Put the rest of the ingredients and lower the heat to low. Stir well to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Salt and pepper to taste!
- Let the sauce simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Cook rice, pasta or potatoes while the sauce is simmering.