This is one of the easiest and quickest sauces I know and it’s perfect on so many desserts, like ice cream, banana split and on brownies. It contains only three ingredients and you can modify the amounts to suit your needs for the situation at hand. Just remember this – mix equal amounts of each ingredients and you’re halfway there. The milk can be substituted for water, but it tastes much better with milk, especially whole milk. For a vegan recipe – change the milk to a vegan option.
1dcl cocoa powder (the darker the better)
- Mix all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil while you stir it, to prevent it from burning.
- Lower the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for a few minutes, or until it’s smooth, silky and a bit thicker. Stir all the time to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn.
- Serve on ice cream, banana split or any other dessert that requires chocolate sauce.
This might not be the original version of tikka masala, but it’s a good one – one that I make every time I make tikka masala. If carrots and chickpeas aren’t cheap when you want to make it, feel free to add other vegetables – for example peas, cabbage, bell peppers etc.
500gr chicken fillets
1 can of chickpeas
3 cloves of garlic
1 can of coconut milk
5dl cream (1 pint/2cups)
2 cubes of chicken stock
1-2 packs of Tikka Masala spice pouches
Paprika powder, salt and turmeric
Butter to fry in
½dcl tomato purée
2tbsp soy sauce
- Grate the carrot, chop the onion finely and press the garlic cloves
- Chop the chicken fillets to cubes
- Empty the can of chickpeas in a strainer and rinse them with cold water to get rid of the salt water
- Heat up a large frying pan or a cast iron skillet and fry all the vegetables, except the chickpeas until they’re brown
- Add the chicken and let it get some color too, but it doesn’t have to ready in the center
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix it well.
- Let it simmer for at least 10 minutes. Put in salt, paprika powder and turmeric to taste.
This is a basic, tasty recipe that I use all the time for different chicken dishes. It makes a lot of sauce, but you can easily freeze the sauce in small containers and use later. To make the sauce even tastier – put in the chicken fat that comes off the chicken, if you grill it in the oven. It really adds flavour!
To make this recipe vegan: use vegan butter, vegan milk and vegetable stock instead! (for vegetarian, use vegetable stock)
To make it gluten free: use corn starch instead of thickening/flour.
3-4tbsp curry powder
2 cubes of chicken stock
1 litre of cream
2tsp paprika powder
- Mix the curry powder, turmeric and the paprika powder together in a small glass or a little bowl.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and whisk in the flour. Make sure there are no lumps, it should be smooth.
- Whisk in the stock cubes and the spices in to the mix.
- Add the cream little by little and let the sauce thicken a bit before adding more.
- Season with salt & pepper, if you want.
- Let it simmer on low heat for a few minutes and make sure that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.