1 litre whole milk
1 cup (2.5dcl) pudding rice
- Add the rice, sugar, salt and half the milk to a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil on high heat and then reduce to the lowest setting. It should be simmering slowly though.
- Let the porridge simmer on low until it thickens and stir every minute to avoid it from sticking to the pan.
- Add a bit more liquid (1-1½dcl) as the porridge thickens and keep doing this until you’re out of milk. Cook until the rice is very tender and soft.
- Stir in the butter at the very last moment before serving.
- Serve with cinnamon and sugar on top.
- It usually takes about 30 minutes to cook this porridge, depending on how thick you want the porridge.
- To make the porridge even cheaper – substitute half the amount of milk for water. This is why it’s important to use whole milk! I’ve used 1 pint of whole milk and 1 pint of water and it’s still turned out very creamy and rich.
- Instead of white sugar, try using the same amount of brown sugar instead – the porridge will get a slightly different flavour and a turn it golden instead of white.
- To make this porridge vegan, simply change out the butter and milk for vegan options!